The term “ANKYLO” means stiffening and “Spondylitis” means inflammation of vertebral joints. Ankylosing spondylitis is a rheumatic inflammatory disease of autoimmune origin that affects the joints of the spine. The vertebrae on the spine start to fuse resulting in reduced flexibility and a hunched back posture. Increased pain observed is observed especially in the mornings and after long periods of inactivity. It is more commonly seen in females and age groups up to 30 years. The condition can be best viewed on an X-ray. It can be cured by Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment in Ayurveda.
Symptoms Of Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Patients primarily experience pain and stiffness in the spine(lower back), hip joint, and the joint between the pelvis and base of the spine usually lasting 3 weeks/longer.
- Pain in places where the ligaments and tendons attach to bones, especially in the spine.
- A hunched-back posture appearance due to fusion of vertebrae causing inability or pain during neck movement.
- It can also be associated with other conditions such as fever, loss of appetite, and fatigue.
- In chronic patients, the inability to breathe free may be observed.
- In later stages, it can also lead to compression fractures, heart and lung problems, and certain eye conditions such as uveitis.
Causes Of Ankylosing Spondylitis
The exact cause of the disease is yet to be known. According To The Ayurveda, It Can Be Caused Due To;
- However genetic transmission remains the most common cause.
- Those positive with the HLAB27 gene are particularly at risk for the disease.
- Poor lifestyle and eating habits.
- Regular intake of spicy, dry, packed food items, incompatible foods(milk and fish, milk and salt, etc food combinations), substance abuse(intake of alcohol, tobacco, drug abuse)
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Disturbed sleep
Diagnosis Of The Disease
It is diagnosed using the following tests;
- Physical bending examination
- X-ray scanning
- Blood investigations for inflammatory markers
- HLA B-27 test.
According to Ayurveda, vitiated doshas along with “aam”/toxins present in the body, together with lead to inflammation and thus lead to ankylosing spondylitis.
The varied methods of diagnosis available in Ayurvedic texts are based on the assessment of parameters such as tridosha(Vata, pitta, Kapha), dhatus(constituting tissues), and tri male(excretory wastes from body inc; urine, stool, sweat).
Use of ashtavidha pareeksha(a method that comprises 8 different parameters to physically examine the patient). Such extensive study of the disease and patient help in precisely diagnosing the disease.
Hence there are improved chances of precise treatment of disease. Early diagnosis and Ayurvedic intervention help in preventing the progression and complications of the disease.
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS
- Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment in Ayurveda has a very holistic approach to the treatment of diseases especially those of autoimmune origin. Ayurveda cures not just the symptoms but eradicates the root cause thereby Improving the quality of life. It is well known that Ayurvedic treatment works on the root cause of the disease and not just on the symptoms.
- Ayurvedic treatment has a multifaceted approach that involves the use of oral medications along with Panchakarma therapies that together help in alleviating the disease.
- The holistic approach to treatment makes it more efficient since it treats the body as one and works toward cleansing the entire body.
The Holistic Approach Involves
- Dietary modifications
- Lifestyle changes
- Stress management by practicing yoga, pranayama, and meditation.
- Ayurvedic medicines
- Panchkarma therapies including virechana, vasti,ksharvasti, kativasti, kizhiswedan, dhanyaamladhara, abhyanga and swedanam and tailadhara , valuka swedana etc.
Benefits Of Choosing Ayurvedic Treatment For Treating Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Ayurvedic treatment protocols are time-tested, free of side effects, and safer methods.
- It helps in preventing further complications and the need for surgery.
- The patient’s life quality will improve greatly.
- It is a natural and holistic treatment modality.
- This can cure the recurrence of diseases.
- It significantly enhances the quality of life of a patient.
- Ayurveda functions on the fundamental principle of curing the diseased and preventing disease in those that are healthy utilizing rasayana(rejuvenation) therapy.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment in Ayurvedat improves the appetite, digestion, and immunity of an individual.